Saturday 9 August 2008

Growth, Dedication, Fruitflies, and Casual Desperation.

You grow a lot in four years.

It's hard to see while it's happening, but when you step back and read four-year-old journal entries, you see that you've become a different person than the one who started.

It doesn't matter if you started late or early because early starters could finish late and late starters could finish early.

"Desperation caught in the throats of the girls who wished they thought of it first..."


I realised today that dedication isn't the amount of time you put into something, but rather what you do when other people are investing time into something.
While the people next to me were conjugating verbs or worrying about gerunds or coming up with a different way to say "things", I was figuring out how to catch a fruit-fly by the wings while the insect struggled for escape.
I managed it one night. Out of the air at a friend's house.


"Casual as in the way she rolls her hips the instant you come into view or casual as in the way I lick my lips before I kiss you?"

No comments: